Life

Life

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Rocks in Yosemite




One summer I had the opportunity to live and work in Yosemite National Park, where I learned to better appreciate nature...and how to rock climb. If there is one place for learning how to rock climb, it is in Yosemite. Almost everyone I encountered there were rock climbers.

On my first day after arriving at the park, a group of people grabbed black mattresses and headed toward a bunch of tall rocks. I had no idea what they were doing, but I followed anyway. We approached the boulders located in a grove of trees. The climbers set down the mattresses (crash pads is what they’re called) and began putting their climbing shoes on. Climbing shoes are essential to a good climb. They are very tight around the foot and made of material that almost sticks to the rock. I knew I would have to purchase some in order to be a decent climber, and I did. Immediately after this first climbing encounter, I bought some Red Chillies (the best shoes I’ve ever climbed in).

Anyway, back to my first ever climbing adventure. After the climbers put on their shoes, they began rubbing chalk all over their hands. Chalk keeps hands dry and oil-free, which allows the climber to hang onto the rock without his or her hands slipping. Once everyone was chalked-up, the climbing began.

Bouldering is a special type rock climbing that is done without ropes and little gear. It requires good upper body strength, and patience. It was hard for me at first, but throughout the summer, I could make it up several boulders without too much trouble.

Another type of rock climbing involves ropes and harnesses. This is my favorite type of climbing. I can climb long and high without worrying about falling (as long as the person belaying me isn’t sleeping). Shoes, rope, belay device, caribeners, chalk, a harness, and anchors are some of the gear required for this sport. After finding the right climbing spot, the first person (lead climber) is attached to a rope and begins setting anchors. The lead climber is usually the most experienced and trustworthy person. He or she attaches himself or herself to the anchors while climbing up so he or she does not fall.

After reaching the top, the lead climber set a top rope and then rappels down. The next climbers take their turns until everyone is tired of climbing. Each person that climbs up is belayed by a climber at the bottom. Once the climb is declared finished, the anchors are detached from the rock and gear is collected. Then it is on to the next climb.
When done right, climbing can be a fun and exhilarating activity. If anyone has the chance to go to Yosemite National Park, the climbing capital of the world, do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment