Life

Life

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Backpacking a Pack




An activity I have always loved in the outdoors is backpacking. Essentially backpacking consists of carrying everything on the back and trekking to a place miles away from home. It can be a three or 50 mile hike, but no cars are involved – just the pack.

I’ve been on some fabulous backpacking trips throughout my lifetime. My first was to Death Hollow (sounds promising, I know) near Escalante, Utah. I was ten years old and up for the challenge. The hike down into the canyon required steadiness and knowing how to maneuver through cracks in the rock. Slipping and falling off the mountain would not be a happy ending to life (or maybe it would). I actually fell several feet (I fall a lot) but was caught by my uncle.

Once in the canyon, there is quite a bit of wadding through water and leaping from one rock to another. After finding a nice beach, camp is set, and exploring begins. In Death Hollow, there are small waterfalls for jumping off of, and swimming holes to swim in. It is a fun, serene, and inviting place.

Another backpack destination is in the Uintah Mountain Range located in Utah. There are a group of lakes (I won’t mention the names in order to protect them) that are full of fish and fresh water. I’ve been to this particular spot several times. It’s about a 5-mile hike in, and includes beautiful meadows, a stream, flowers, and lakes along the way. The lake I usually camp at has gorgeous views of mountains, and sunrises to drool over.

Fish are everywhere in the lakes and streams. There are also great trails for hiking. In the evening, the campfire roars as the sunset of multiple colors sets over the western mountains. Then diamonds of stars litter the clear night sky. It really is an experience I hope to have again and again.
Backpacking requires planning. Throwing a bunch of gear into a pack will never do the job, and going to an unknown place without a map could end in getting lost. Most backpacking gear consists of a tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, food, water, small stove, pocket knife, and proper clothes for the weather. When planning a trip, it is important to know about the place where the backpacking will take place. Knowing about the weather, how long the trail will be, and if there is water available are big things to consider when arranging a trip. The best two words to always remember are: “Be prepared.”

No comments:

Post a Comment